Alessandra da Silva Souza de Carvalho, Dr.
Scientific Associate SNF
Address: Binzmühlestrasse 14, Box 22 | CH-8050 Zürich
- Working memory and working memory capacity
- Declarative and procedural working memory
- Attention to working memory contents (i.e., "retro-cue benefit")
- Rehearsal and refreshing
- Multi-tasking (e.g., task-switching)
- Executive functions
My research focuses on understanding the factors limiting our ability to process the information relevant to perform a given task. The cognitive system underpinning this ability is known as working memory.
In my research, I use behavioral tasks and computational modeling to examine:
- How we create, maintain, and manipulate representations in working memory
- Why we forget information and whether we can take active measures to prevent the loss of information (e.g., by rehearsing it)
- How attention can be used to prioritize the selection and use of information
- The impact of lifelong experiences (such as bilingualism) and of healthy aging to the plasticity and functioning of the cognitive system