Prof. Dr. Bigna Lenggenhager
The professorship for Cognitive Neuropsychology with the focus Body, Self, and Plasticity investigates psychological, physiological and neural mechanisms of the sense of a self and a body and their development through lifespan.
The central research questions are:
- How plastic is the healthy bodily self?
- How can the bodily self be altered via experimental manipulation and how do alterations in the bodily self alter emotional, cognitive, motivational and social processes?
- How does the bodily self develop in infancy and childhood?
- How does the plasticity of the bodily self alter during aging?
- How do clinical disorders of the bodily self develop?
To address these research questions we combine various methods from psychology, neuroscience and virtual reality.
The professorship Cognitive Neuropsychology is financed by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).